After making this traditional family dish for our meal plan at Pennsic I have gotten a lot of requests for the recipe. Keep in mind that this is a “cheater” sauerkraut – my family equivalent to a quick and dirty casserole that you would throw together on a Wednesday night. It is not a period recipe. In any case I hope you enjoy!
Ingredients (per 28oz of Kraut):
- 2 – 14oz cans/jars of SilverFloss Sauerkraut
- 3 Slices of Bacon
- 1/2 Large Onion
- 1/2 tsp Caraway seeds
- 3 Juniper Berries
- Peppercorns or Black pepper
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Garlic clove – chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp. Flour
- 1 Apple – grated (optional)
- Large slice of ham steak or pork chops.
- 1 Sausage (kielbasa works well)
- Cut slices of bacon into thin strips (1″). Cook in saucepan until done. Set aside on paper towel.
Leave about 1 tablespoon of drippings in pan and put the rest aside for roux
- Chop 1/2 onion and saute in bacon drippings until translucent (or you can just use oil).
- Drain sauerkraut and add to pan.
- Add caraway seeds, peppercorns/black pepper, juniper berries, bay leaf, garlic clove, and meats.
- Cover kraut with water and cook covered with lid until tender. (about 1 hour)
- Make roux (below) and add to kraut, cooking another 10 minutes.
1-2 Tbsp.oil or bacon fat.
1-2 Tbsp. flour
Melt fat in a frying pan. Add flour and cook until golden in color.