Blue Linen Dress Re-Do Update

So after some mild hiccups in delivery I have a new bias tape maker arriving today! YAY! I’ll be able to move on after making all this bias tape. I’m hoping today to try out by drafted pattern for the side piece as well.

This is the pattern piece to the left that I’ve drafted onto some plain brown wrapping paper. (My preference for my own drafted patterns because of it’s sturdiness.) I did not do this freehand, I’m not that talented. I did use my french curve tool a.k.a. Dritz’s Styling Design Ruler. (It’s something that all costumers should have!) I’ll talk about that tool at another time though. The next step is to cut it out of some muslin and try it on the dress to see if I need to make any adjustments before cutting it out of the dark blue linen. I’m hoping I can get at least this much done today before I have to go pick up my little man at daycare at 3:30.

The hem will have to be addressed next and maybe I can get that done tomorrow or Friday night. I’m hoping to have the major components of the dress put together (or fixed) no later than next week. By that I mean the added side pieces, hem piece, and shoulders. I’m thinking that there may need to be a facing put on the neck as well but I’ll see when I take the shoulders apart.

The bad news is that the lovely gold fabric in the swatch that I had planned to use for bias tape to cover the joining of the dark blue and light blue material refuses to be turned into bias tape. Even after several tries with the bias tape machine and doing it manually. GRR. Now I will have to revert to more commercial sources. I happen to have a fair stash of commercial trims of varying historical “period-ness.” Meaning, some are more period looking than others. I’m sure that I will spend a significant amount of time trying to decide what route to take but so far I’m leaning towards a plain bias tape trim or something equally plain in my designed trim. I will NOT be doing a blue trim though. I’m looking for something with higher contrast. Yellow, gold, or possibly orange are colors that I think would be ideal.

Advertisements
Categories: Dritz, pattern drafting, Sideless Surcoat | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

The Ramblings of The Titanium Don

Explorations of Conscious Reality Creation and Other Matters

The Daily Post

The Art and Craft of Blogging

The Calligraphy Pen

The Calligraphy Blog

Creativity From Chaos

Trials and Triumphs

Nyce and trewe accounte of Alesone, sugarwricht

Smile! You’re at the best WordPress.com site ever

Life in a Southern Castle

Join Me In The Adventure!

Leofwyn's Adventures

Lady Leo's adventures in the Middle Ages and beyond

East Kingdom Gazette

Covering the Eastern Realm of the SCA

scribescribbling

A scadian scribe's experiences

Ca' d'Oro Salone

Renaissance Salon and Historical Apothecary

Anachronistic and Impulsive

Anna's Rome: A View of Ancient Rome and Byzantium in the Current Middle Ages

Rekon's Workshop

Medieval arts and how to make them

My Project Place

A place for me to keep thoughts, images, and information on my many grand costuming projects

%d bloggers like this: